Students will have many opportunities to handle and care for animals as they study veterinary assisting, and laboratory procedures for animals. You’ll study anatomy as you care for the animals that live in your classroom!
- Individual Animal Care & Handling Bio-profiles
- Basics in Grooming
- Office, Hospital & Kennel Maintenance Procedures
- Small Animal Nursing & Pharmacology
- Client Communication/Medical Record Keeping
- Exam and Treatment Room Procedures
- Surgical Preparation and Assisting
- Laboratory Procedures
- Animal Disease & Health Maintenance
- Diagnostic Imaging Assisting
Helpful Preparatory Courses
Biology with lab
Chemistry with lab
2. Non-slip closed toe shoes/ sneakers
3. Current Tetanus vaccination is recommended
Students must successfully meet the academic and attendance criteria for a two-year Wilson Tech Certificate of Completion, be High School diploma eligible, and pass the following national certification exam: National Occupational Competency Institute (NOCTI) – Veterinary Assistant PA.
About the instructor
Kathy Keymel, a NYS licensed veterinary technician, holds an associate’s degree in veterinary science, bachelor’s degree in biological science, and a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction. She worked in the field for more than 20 years at various animal hospitals before coming to Wilson Tech. Her classroom is a mini habitat where students have the opportunity to care for a variety of small and large animals while preparing to enter a field in animal care.